How should you play your professional hand when it comes to career poker?
As employers ramp up their 2014 hiring, the question is: are you the one who they are going to hire this year?
In order to make yourself the most desirable applicant in this market there are a few things that you can do:
1) Brush up on your technological skills. Websites like: lynda.com and youtube.com offer great tutorials, as do the Microsoft Store and recruiters who can often provide complimentary tutorials as well. They can all be a great resource for you in enhancing your preexisting skills.
2) Check your attitude at the door. Some of the best applicants I have come across on paper wind up being passed on because of their less than stellar attitudes. Check in with the people around you. Ask them how you occur for them and what their first impression was of you. This is a good way to get a sense of whether you are someone who others want to be around and work with or not. If you are not someone who others respect and want to be around, perhaps look into a self development class such as http://www.landmarkeducation.com or http://www.understandmen.com
3) Work on your presentation. You do not need to run out and buy an Armani suit to impress, but you certainly should have a pressed, polished and professional suit for any interview (preferably in black, navy or grey). Additionally, work with a buddy or coach on your physical presentation during the interview such as your body language and eye contact. Finally, practice those tricky interview questions in advance of the interview and most importantly, remember to breath and pause for emphasis. Toastmasters can be a great resource for enhancing your speaking skills or you can also check out other methods on increasing confidence in your speaking such as: http://www.vocalawareness.com/
Remember that it is your SKILLS multiplied by your ATTITUDE that will land you the job, but what you say or do during the interview, can just as easily cost you the job.
I was recently asked how to be effective at interacting with people who you are connected to on your various social media accounts. Below is a synopsis of the 30/30/30 rule that will have you be more effective at interacting with the people who you are connected to:
Ive been speaking of the musical. Ly app for quite some time just now and exactly how i have already been taking a look at its own attractiveness. If you dont recognize, musical. Ly lets you generate short 15-second videos of yourself lip-syncing straight to widespread music only to crop up bites. Think about it like a mashup of Vine, Snapchat, only to DubSmash. If you are carrying out a the words is occurring and at 7 straight to 16 1 year olds across the country, this app has been slowly evolving directly on posture only to it’s not instructions signs of slowing down. I do believe its the by itself policy which include the straight to become the next Snapchata policy and at fair have an effect on only to the capability to hold of use. Im not stating that it include the next Snapchat, Im from which musical. Ly might have matching having authority. Its nonetheless extremely early. If you analyze the most effective app lists on the App shop or the Google enjoy shop, there are a great number of apps in the market only to its very difficult straight to cut through the variety of noise. Musical. Ly provides arrived this feat as of accomplishing two things: (a man or woman) winning the 13-18 year-old introduce only to (2) using a utility app from which capitalizes on the desire to be creators. A man or woman. MUSICAL. LY strikes some good introduce
Musical. Ly is definitely the first actual cultural networking from which has already reached that an team mainly because youthful mainly because first-graders. Mainly because cell phone, tablets, only to almost every other fabric are currently discovering possessed only to implemented directly on younger only to younger a long time, get together this demographic tends to still be more and more of use. Technology is definitely beginning to skew younger only to apps that might smoothly trap this demos eyesight tends to pop. Musical. Lys accomplishment and at younger audiences reminds me of Facebook only to Snapchat. Facebook preliminary begun like a college-only policy only to down the road received posture directly on almost every other a long time. Recently, Snapchat carry out a thing matching as of starting with a younger demographic only to ageing up. Snapchat caught the tween only to teenage team as it comprehended two assistance that appears to be very important with regards to teens: (a man or woman) its not fair straight to hang aside directly on the same territory mainly because the body’s mother only to (2) you must lock the body’s difference. Wish to have Facebook, Snapchats app only to flows have started to sensibly skew aged only to become more discovering a far greater introduce. I do believe musical. Ly will do the same. Just think the minute Facebook turned into your moms app. In a few flows, musical. Ly is definitely generating Snapchat someones aged brothers app only to owning a straight younger gateway. 2. MUSICAL. LY is definitely implemented mainly because an instrument
I very soft attribute musically famous crown musical. Lys accomplishment straight to like a utility app. Its own situation is similar to how Instagram begun mainly because an instrument before preparing itself up like a cultural policy. Instagrams well worth only to intensity was that it formulated the general public premier photographers. That it came upon persons the capability to trap decent photographs to their cellular tool, edit that it, only to discuss that it to their close friends. This brought in a nice-looking customer building block in favor of after that can it discharge discovering cultural. Instagram formulated something that was at the present of use, only to flipped that it to produce a cultural networking the base. When you can understand why, you may want to observe the to seek musical. Ly. It actually is enabling a younger age group in making thrilled directly on flows he or she can not make it possible in making mainly because with ease on their own. It actually is democratizing thrilled manufacturing to seek teenagers as of providing them with the resources (i. E. , filters, handling in excess of video velocity, access to authority crop up) in making fun only to entertaining thrilled. I may not be the primary lip-syncer, but very soft i could introduce a thing fun in making on the policy. Ive implemented musical. Lys have an effect on firsthand only to i motivate on you to never dismiss that it mainly because merely a fad. Musical. Ly has grown straight to in excess of 90 million persons across the world, up taken from 10 million last year. If you’d like to reach teenagers (and even younger demos) across the country, there is absolutely no premier technique than simply by the platforms then they make use of. Certainly be a practitioner, learn the app, only to recognize its own potential. Musical. Ly provides a ton of eyesight just now only to irrespective of whether it could hold on only to aged up, there is a actual probability for them to stick around wish to have Snapchat only to Facebook.
Social media is quickly becoming more and more accessible to employers to do their research on you before you even go in for an interview. Technically, employers are not “supposed” to check you out on your various social media sites, but let us be honest, they do!
YES! Many people think that the holidays are the worst time of year to look for a position because everyone is on vacation and/or waiting for their holiday bonus. I have found the contrary to be true. Some of my best months as a recruiter have been in the months of November and December. I attribute this to not “giving up” around the holidays. By giving up, I am referring to the many job seekers and recruiters who give up because they think that it is a bad time of year to look for a new position.
I find the opposite is true because so few people are looking that there is a much smaller and more select pool of candidates who are available to employers during this time, which actually makes it easier to find a job around the holidays. The employers are typically much more flexible about start date, salary etc… because of how hard it is to find good people around the holidays. If you are willing to be proactive and give up some of your holiday parties, which are also a great excuse to get out of the office for an interview, the holidays can be your best ally for finding your next position.
Below are the top 10 things you can do to find your dream job:
- Start by knowing what you want (create a Wishlist and be specific!)
- Set a statement of intent and do your daily declaration at least once a day (the Mental side of your job search)
- Watch your language (avoid words like “hope”, “try”, “it is hard”, “I cannot” etc…)
- Network and connect with the right people (80% of jobs are found through word of mouth)
- Be proactive in your job hunt and do not just sit back and react (go after what you want and do not just sit around expecting to receive it without effort)
- Put together a good resume (for every ten resumes you send out you should get at least three interviews)
- Properly prepare for every interview (spend at least two hours preparing prior to every interview)
- Interview effectively (make a strong case for why they should hire you by providing compelling evidence)
- Have strong follow through whether networking or after an interview (always send a thank you know and remember to follow up with any contacts after a networking event)
- Become indispensable to whomever you work for and remember…attitude is everything!
- Refuse to test
- Complain about the application and/or refuse to fill out the application
- No show for an interview without being in communication
- Lie on your resume, on your application or during your interview
- Complain to HR or complain to company representatives about anything related to interview process
- Not respond to phone calls and be hard to reach/only respond via email or text
- Walk out on an interview
- Make unwanted advances/inappropriate conduct towards people in the office
- Yell or scream or cuss at your recruiter or company representative
- Contact a company directly about why they didn’t hire you and/or pester your recruiter or the company for feedback
If you have ever worked with an attorney or known an attorney, you are more than likely aware of how critical evidence is to an attorney’s ability to win a case. I have yet to meet an attorney who was able to win a case without strong evidence. So what does job hunting have to do with evidence? EVERYTHING! Just like an attorney would never base his or her case on a client being a “great guy,” you as a job seeker cannot rely on how hard working or fabulous you are if you are not willing to give evidence to support your claims.
How can a job seeker put together evidence to make their case stronger as to why an employer should hire them?
- A job seeker should begin by putting together a list of their top five to ten characteristics or traits that make them a good candidate for a position. These things could include: being hardworking, good at dealing with difficult personalities, analytical, loyal etc..
- Next, the job seeker should come up with a piece of evidence that substantiates each of those characteristics that would have an employer want to hire them. For example, if you say that you are hard working, give an example of where you worked straight through the weekend.
- Finally, these pieces of evidence should include examples of that job seeker’s PEP (Productivity, Efficiency and Performance-where have they increased their PEP and the PEP of their company and tie in their evidence of where they have enhanced it in the past). An example would be that in less than six months, you increased the company’s revenue by 10% in your region.