Make a list of the top 10 things that have you stand out in your job, and then give an example of where you have shown your effectiveness in each of those 10 areas.
1) Always show up 15 minutes early with several copies of your resume and references
2) Always fill out an application thoroughly and completely with neat, legible hand writing
3) Always research a company prior to an interview
4) Dress professionally
5) Uncross your legs and your arms during your interview. Remember that your body language is just as important as what you are saying.
6) Always have a firm handshake upon meeting the person your are interviewing with
7) Always have good eye contact
8) Be flexible when asked about salary. Remember that until you have the offer, it does not matter how much you want, you are not in a position of power until you get the offer
9) Be CONFIDENT. Do not get intimidated by what could be awkward silences, rather you could engage the interviewer
10) Always come to any interview prepared with at least 3-5 great questions to ask the person you are meeting with about themselves or the company
Use websites such as www.indeed.com and www.simplyhired.com to leverage your time spent job hunting. These websites will send you a comprehensive list of any positions that meet your search criteria which will save you time from going to websites such as www.monster.com and www.careerbuilder.com individually.
Your resume only needs to go back 10 years, and should be kept to no more than 1 page ideally. If you have more than 10 years of experience with one company then it can be appropriate to go onto a second page.
Answer all interview questions by focusing on your PEP-ie. where you have increased productivity, efficiency & performance in your most recent position.
Before you go out to look for a new job, it is critical to make your own “wish-list” of what your ideal job is so you will know when you have found it. Your “wish-list” should include everything from company culture and location, to the types of personalities you would most prefer to work with.
Always have a minimum of 3-5 references you can provide to an employer including at least 2 supervisor references